Hoops statement of purpose
Jan. 24 - 27, 2018
Statement of Purpose
- To develop Christ-like character through a quality athletic program, with attention given to fellowship, respect for opponents, level of play and competitive and recreational fun.
- To allow for participation that will be conducted in such a manner as to emphasize the learning of athletic skills and sportsmanship.
- To provide an opportunity for the development of character, self-respect, social grace, physical dexterity and personal discipline on and off the court of play.
- To promote the concepts of teamwork, fair play and the ideals of service to each other as team members and service to the community at large.
Southwestern Adventist University – Hoops Classic – is committed in the development process of the student athlete – physical, mental, social and spiritual. The student athlete is an individual who can compete in any setting with the elements of fairness, courteous behavior and gracious acceptance of both individual and contest results.
May our tournament participants exemplify humbleness in victory and graciousness in defeat. Let our program be known for the highest level of competition and great sportsmanship.
Each program representative (coach/player/parent/sponsor) is expected to follow these guidelines:
- Language should be such that it will reflect favorably on the program and its participants
- Consider all opponents as guests – treating them with mutual respect and common courtesy.
- Game officials and scoring table personnel are to be accorded respect at all times.
- Skill in performance, regardless of who it is or what team he/she plays for, should be recognized and appreciated.
- Booing and/or other negative remarks/behavior will not be tolerated.